Way back in January I jumped on the bandwagon of another blogger, Julie from Blah, Blah Blog. She actually had jumped on someone else's bandwagon of writing a post a week about the things we are grateful for in our lives. Thus, 52 Graces was born. I loved the idea. I especially loved that it was once a week and I felt that even my procrastinating self could manage a once a week commitment.
I might also mention that I didn't want my 52 Graces to be schmaltzy whereby I start naming all the people in my life, the air I breathe, the sun that shines down upon my head, etc....grateful postings. I tried to come up with obscure things that might seem little or insignificant to others, but made a difference to me in my daily living.
Well, I started out that way. Then I did go down the hearts and flowers path a little and then I did a mini- marathon catch up and then I didn't do any for a long time. Now we are almost at the end of October, (still not sure how that happened...) and I'm way behind AGAIN. I had the choice to kind of let it slide and just forget about it altogether, but then I thought of Julie and her blog and I felt kind of sad because, Julie had a very funny, slice of life blog that I aspired to be like. We had shared a few emails back and forth and I considered her to be one of my blog buddies....(which by the way is one of the greatest things about doing this blog thing- all the great folks you meet, virtual hook up with, etc...) One day, Julie stopped posting. I would check back occasionally to see if she had posted anything new, and still -nothing. I sent Julie an email to check in on her. I didn't want to invade her privacy, but I was genuinely concerned and wanted to make sure she was okay.
She sent me back an email thanking me for my concern, but she had been and ill and her family had been ill and well life just got in the way and she would be back to posting soon. Except, she didn't post again. In fact, her blog site is gone, closed down. I'm very sad about this and more than anything, I'm just hoping and praying that Julie and her family are doing okay. Since, I'm not a personal friend of Julie, I don't feel right sending her another email. Perhaps, nothing happened except she decided to stop blogging. But, I can't help thinking about Julie and how she inspired me. So, in honor of Julie and her old site, Blah, Blah Blog- I will continue on with my 52 Graces- they may not all be serious, they might be schmaltzy and they might be totally light on content- but I will come up with the remainder of the list.
Starting now- the following list of items are things that I like. Because I like them, I am grateful for their availability and their presence in my life- thus they are a part of my 52 Graces....
22. This summer I became addicted the $1 Sweet Tea at McDonald's. I gave up Soda/Pop a year ago in June. I just decided I didn't need to drink it any more. I did not give up coffee...(please see upcoming note) Love this refreshing drink and the super price!
23.These crispy chips are reduced fat- so reduced guilt. I love the crunchy, salty texture. You can't be good all the time and when you need a little sumpin' these chips fill the bill. Plus they hold up well to dippin'!
24. Fall probably is my favorite of the seasons. Especially when you get a beautiful Indian Summer day like we experienced today here in the Midwest. Sunshine, warmer temps but still a little crispness to the air and the gorgeous coloring of all things.
25. Friday Night football- this goes hand in hand with the fall season. We have season tickets to our kid's high school football games. This is one of those rare things that we all do together as a family. We don't actually all hang out together while there, but we do all end up going home together after a stop at our favorite pizza place. It's a tradition and one that I love. (except when it's raining!)
26. I've been on a soup kick for quite some time. Lobster bisque is my current main squeeze. I love the bisque from Bravo's (an Italian restaurant chain) but my local grocery store has their version every Saturday and it's a must have for me on the weekends.
27. I will never stop wearing eye liner. One of my girlfriends told me that as you age...(she's about 5 years younger than me...) you shouldn't wear eye liner. She said she read that you should just use shadow and mascara. Sorry- that old dog don't hunt for me. My eyes are not complete without eye liner. My favorite- L'Oreal Intense Eye Liner. It's like a liquid eye liner (which I could never, ever put on correctly) in a magic marker type pen...It is fabulous! Love it- I did wish they would put a smudgy edge on the the other end to help with the application, but I just keep using my other smudgy edge from a long ago used other eye pencil. (I do clean and sanitize them - so don't worry.)
Something about walking into a Michael's Craft store just gets my motor running. I could go in for one thing and come out with about 10 other things. The store makes me want to be a better crafter (which by the way- I don't consider myself crafty at all) which is why I love Michael's - it helps with the fantasy.
29. See these little puffs of peppermint magic? I'm totally addicted. Addicted to the point that I have to stop myself from buying them because otherwise I will consume the entire container. I constantly have mints available to me - (I'm phobic about bad breath...I have several kinds of breath fresheners in my car/purse at all times.) These little peppermint beauties not only freshen your breath- they refresh you and they're a little sweet- and they take care of any sweet cravings. They just melt in your mouth- so they don't cut up your mouth like other hard candies can.
30. Pilate's Class. Started this exercise this summer and fell in love. My instructor is awesome, mainly because she helps my out of shape behind with lots of compassion and patience. Never before have I worked so hard in a class ( I'm from the Jane Fonda workout crowd too...) and enjoyed myself so much.
32. Fun, colorful watches. I have lots of watches. Most of them aren't very valuable in price- but valuable in the fun factor. I love to change them up to match my outfit- the more outrageous the color/strap the better. A great place to buy them is...
34. I'm not a shopping snob. Name brands on clothing are not that important to me- what is important is style and price. I love nothing more than to have something on and get complimented on it and tell the person "thanks- I got it at the walmarts..." I also love their prices and perusing their aisles late at night when you never know what you'll find on sale.
I'm not a pumpkin pie fan, but I do like other things pumpkin. Right now I'm on a pumpkin ice cream kick. My newest favorite- is a flavor by Handel's Ice Cream- Pumpkin Pecan. Yummy- sweet, creamy pumpkin ice cream with crunchy, salty-sweet pecans. Not great for the diet- but a definite treat!
Okay- I've probably bored you by now- but I still have catching up to do- which I will do by hook or by crook as they say...but for now that's just a little peek into some the things that make me a happy gal.
Tell me what you like- can't live without, have been jonesing for lately....I'd love to hear it!